Individuals interested in registering for Niagara University Additional Qualifications (AQ) programs are required to submit a completed application (candidate registration form) and, where applicable, appropriate statement of experience (certification of teaching experience form). A teacher seeking Additional Qualifications must be an Ontario certified teacher or have completed a pre-service teacher education program and meet all of the requirements set out in the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation.
Below are the registration requirements and prerequisites according to regulations listed on the Ontario College of Teachers’ website.
**Please note that all applicants for AQ and ABQ courses need to carefully read the eligibility requirements/prerequisites which are posted on the College of Teachers website (listed below). It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that these requirements/prerequisites are fulfilled prior to applying for any of the offered courses; failure to do so will result in a delay in submitting an AQ to the College of Teachers until all requirements are met.
Requirements for One-Session AQs from Schedules C (OCT)
Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Restricted), Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Limited).
Requirements for Specialist Qualification from Schedule D (OCT)
The three-part specialist courses consist of Parts I, II and III (Specialist).
- Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (ICQR) or ICQR (Limited)
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior divisions or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies
- Primary Education, Junior Education and Intermediate Education require a basic qualification in the respective division.
- For admission into Part I in Kindergarten, applicants also must hold a qualification in the Primary division
- Part I or evidence of a Schedule A subject associated with the Intermediate or Senior division which the Ontario College of Teachers considers equivalent
- One year of successful teaching experience, certified by a supervisory officer (Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III)
- Part II or equivalent
- Two years of successful teaching experience, including one in the subject in Ontario, certified by a supervisory officer. Experience outside of Ontario must be certified by an appropriate supervisory official (see Appendix 2 — Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III).