Applicants to Niagara University Additional Qualifications (AQ) programs are required to submit a completed application (candidate registration form) and, where applicable, appropriate statement of experience (certification of teaching experience form). A teacher seeking Additional Qualifications must be an Ontario certified teacher or have completed a pre-service teacher education program and meet all of the requirements set out in the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation.
French Fluency Test
Candidates who are seeking Additional Qualifications in FSL must satisfactorily complete a fluency test. The fluency test is a mandatory component of admission to the FSL Part 1 AQ course. Results of the French fluency test will be provided to Niagara University for the purposes of admission to the French as a Second Language AQ course only.
Exemption from writing the test may be granted to:
- Candidates who have FSL as a teachable
- Francophone candidates
- Candidates who have a degree from a French language university
Candidates who meet the above criteria are to contact us by phone at 905.294.7260 or by email at email@example.com to confirm eligibility. Documentation will be required.
Le test de compétence linguistique comprend trois composantes: une composante orale, une composante de compréhension (un passage Ã trous et un article), une composante d’écriture (des petits paragraphes et une rédaction).
Il faut réussir chacune de ces composantes pour suivre le cours de qualification additionnelle. Une bonne connaissance du FranÃ§ais est importante puisque le cours se donne en FranÃ§ais.
Please contact us at 905.294.7260 to schedule an appointment/make necessary arrangements to take the language proficiency test.
** An additional $50 administration fee is added to the course (in addition to the registration).
Below are the registration requirements and prerequisites according to regulations listed on the Ontario College of Teachers’ website.
Requirements for One-Session AQs from Schedules C (OCT)
Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Restricted), Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Limited).
Requirements for Specialist Qualification (Schedule D) (OCT)
The three-part specialist courses consist of Parts I, II and III (Specialist).
Prerequisites for Part I
- Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (ICQR) or ICQR (Limited)
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior divisions or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies
- Primary Education, Junior Education and Intermediate Education require a basic qualification in the respective division.
- For admission into Part I in Kindergarten, applicants also must hold a qualification in the Primary division
Prerequisites for Part II
- Part I or evidence of a Schedule A subject associated with the Intermediate or Senior division which the College considers equivalent
- One year of successful teaching experience, certified by a supervisory officer (Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III)
Prerequisites for Part III (Specialist)
- Part II or equivalent
- Two years of successful teaching experience, including one in the subject in Ontario, certified by a supervisory officer. Experience outside of Ontario must be certified by an appropriate supervisory official (see Appendix 2 — Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III).