Applicants to Niagara University Additional Qualifications (AQ) programs are required to submit a completed application (candidate registration form) and, where applicable, appropriate statement of experience (certification of teaching experience form). A teacher seeking Additional Qualifications must be an Ontario certified teacher or have completed a pre-service teacher education program and meet all of the requirements set out in the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation.
French Fluency Test
Candidates who are seeking Additional Qualifications in FSL must satisfactorily complete a fluency test. The fluency test is a mandatory component of admission to the FSL Part 1 AQ course. Results of the French fluency test will be provided to Niagara University for the purposes of admission to the French as a Second Language AQ course only.
Le test de compétence linguistique comprend trois composantes: une composante orale, une composante de compréhension (un passage Ã trous et un article), une composante d’écriture (des petits paragraphes et une rédaction).
Il faut réussir chacune de ces composantes pour suivre le cours de qualification additionnelle. Une bonne connaissance du FranÃ§ais est importante puisque le cours se donne en FranÃ§ais.
The French Fluency Test will take place at the Ontario Niagara Office - 10475 Bayview Avenue, Richmond Hill. Please contact us at 905.294.7260 to set up an appointment.
* Candidates are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time of the test.
** An additional $50 administration fee is added to the course (in addition to the registration). Cheque should be payable to Niagara University.
Below are the registration requirements and prerequisites according to regulations listed on the Ontario College of Teachers’ website.
Requirements for One-Session AQs from Schedules C (OCT)
Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Restricted), Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (Limited).
Requirements for Specialist Qualification (Schedule D) (OCT)
The three-part specialist courses consist of Parts I, II and III (Specialist).
Prerequisites for Part I
- Certificate of Qualification and Registration or Interim Certificate of Qualification and Registration (ICQR) or ICQR (Limited)
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior divisions or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies
- Primary Education, Junior Education and Intermediate Education require a basic qualification in the respective division.
- For admission into Part I in Kindergarten, applicants also must hold a qualification in the Primary division
Prerequisites for Part II
- Part I or evidence of a Schedule A subject associated with the Intermediate or Senior division which the College considers equivalent
- One year of successful teaching experience, certified by a supervisory officer (Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III)
Prerequisites for Part III (Specialist)
- Part II or equivalent
- Two years of successful teaching experience, including one in the subject in Ontario, certified by a supervisory officer. Experience outside of Ontario must be certified by an appropriate supervisory official (see Appendix 2 — Certification of Teaching Experience Form, AQ Part II & III).