2014 — 2015 B.F.A. Auditions & Interviews
For prospective and transfer students seeking entry into the BFA Performance or BFA Design/Technology programs for the 2015-2016 academic year, applicants are required to audition (Performance) and/or present a portfolio review (Design/Technology). As our audition dates have passed, we will be accepting video auditions for Performance Applicants and requests for Design/Technology portfolio reviews until May 1, 2015.
Performance Applicant Requirements
- Monologue: One-minute monologue of your choice from a play, prepared and memorized. Not to exceed 2 minutes.
- Vocal: 32-64 bars preferably from a musical (no opera, please). An accompanist will be provided. Please bring your sheet music. Singing a cappella or with a taped accompaniment will not be permitted.
- Movement (Dance and Stage Combat): This audition will be utilized to assess dance and movement placement. A short dance combination will be taught, followed by a master class in stage combat. Please wear standard dance attire or clothing that permits ease of movement, as well as appropriate footwear (athletic sneakers for stage combat).
Video Auditions must include the Monologue and Vocal requirements as listed above. The Movement requirement is optional for video auditions. Prospective students may include a movement portion to their video audition, for example a dance solo from a previous production, but it is not required.
Video Auditions may be submitted the following ways:
DVD - sent to Adriano Gatto, Niagara University Theatre, 11 Vincentian Drive, Niagara University, N.Y. 14109.
ONLINE - the audition files may be emailed directly to email@example.com. Students may also post the audition on YouTube or another online site and email the link to the address above
All applicants for the B.F.A. Performance program are required to submit a current headshot or photo and resume.
Design/Technology Applicant Requirements
Each applicant for the design/technology program will meet with the design faculty for 30 minutes to present a prepared portfolio. Additionally, applicants should be prepared to discuss their theatre experience, career aspirations and expectations at NU.
The portfolio should include a maximum of 15 samples that primarily reflect the applicant’s technical theatre production experience. Some examples of materials that might be included are:
- Resume of applicant’s theatre production experience.
- Production photographs that showcase applicant’s work (sets, costumes, props, lighting, etc.).
- Technical drawings of elements designed by the applicant (sets, costumes, props, light plots, etc.).
- Audio samples and documentation of sound designed by the applicant.
- Stage manager prompt book generated by the applicant.
- Additional theatre paperwork generated by the applicant such as run crew notes, prop lists, sound cue lists, etc.
- Photographs or examples of applicant’s artwork.
- Letters of recommendation
All applicants for the B.F.A. design/technology program are required to submit a resume and letters of recommendation.
* At this time, we have notified those students who were selected as recipients of the NU Theatre Scholarships.
For more information, please contact Adriano Gatto, artist-in-residence, at 716.286.8481 or firstname.lastname@example.org.