Dr. William Peek
Professor of Economics
- Office Location:
- Bisgrove Hall, Room 254F
- Office Hours:
- Fall 2016: Tues & Thurs 11-12:30 & Wed 9-12
- Curriculum Vitae:
Dr. Peek joined the faculty at Niagara University in August 1980 after teaching two years at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. He is a product of the State University of New York system, graduating from Oswego State a long time ago. After a year of graduate work in economics at Duke University, he moved on to Syracuse University for two reasons: First, SU paid him to go to school and, second, at Duke he discovered he needed an achievement climate like Syracuse in order to get anything done.
While at Syracuse University’s Metropolitan Studies Program (now defunct), he constantly exhorted the director to accept new graduate students who could play the post or shortstop on the graduate students' intramural basketball and softball teams. Dr. Peek is still trying to work out the bitterness over his 35-year-old high school record for lowest earned run average being broken.
Focus of Teaching
- ECO 101 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO 102 - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECO 231 - Business Statistics II
- ECO 305 - Intermediate Microeconomics
- ECO 330 - Economics of Government (Public Finance)
Dr. Peek’s most recent research deals with the impact of changes in the U.S.-Canadian currency exchange rate on NYS border county sales tax revenue. This is an ongoing study of the effects of crossborder shopping on local economies. The initial study was presented at the annual conference of the Southwestern Society of Economists in Dallas, Tx., in March 2010.
- B.A. in Mathematics and Economics, State University of New York College at Oswego (a long time ago).
- M.A. in Economics, Syracuse University (a long time ago).
- Ph.D. in Economics, Syracuse University (nearly equally long time ago).
Dr. Peek is an active member of the United Baptist-Christian Church in Lewiston, N.Y. He currently is a member of the pastoral relations committee, treasurer and an elder. Dr. Peek is a volunteer for the United Way’s Community Care Review Committee, the Lewiston Historical Society Museum, the Friends of the Lewiston Public library and the Old Fort Niagara Association.