These honors, available to all students, are based upon your final Niagara University GPA. All of the honors will be read at commencement and the three Latin honors will also appear on your diploma.
If over half of your credits were taken at NU:
- Summa Cum Laude = 3.80+ GPA
- Magna Cum Laude = 3.50 - 3.79 GPA
- Cum Laude = 3.25 - 3.49
If over half of your credits were transferred into NU:
- Recognition of Distinctive Scholarship = 3.25+ GPA
College of Arts & Sciences students, who meet certain academic criteria, are able to join the departmental honor society within their major. To learn more about honor societies, talk to the faculty in your department or click here for more information.
- Honor Societies By Department: Biology, Biochemistry/Chemistry, Communication Studies, Criminal Justice, History, International English, International Scholars, International Law, Mathematics, Modern Language, Political Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Social Work, Sociology
- Additional Honor Societies: Continuing Education, National Honor Society (Catholic Colleges), President's Honor Society, Transfer Students
Niagara University's honors programs are based upon GPA eligibility and certain course requirements. Both options include a 2 semester honors thesis. University Honors, which invites select incoming first year students and sophomores, also includes honors specific and enhanced courses.
In order to graduate with University Honors, a student must complete the following requirements in their years at Niagara:
|Entering in First Year||Entering As Sophomore|
|1 Honors course in REL 101 OR Honors REL 103|
|3 Honors courses out of the following designated general education categories:*||2 Honors courses out of the following designated general education categories:*|
|Philosophy, Religious Studies, History 199, Natural Sciences, Humanities, Cultural Diversity, Analytical Skills, Social Sciences||Philosophy, Religious Studies, History 199, Natural Sciences, Humanities, Cultural Diversity, Analytical Skills, Social Sciences|
|1 Honors Enhanced course in student's major||1 Honors Enhanced Course in student's major|
|2 Semester Honors Thesis conducted with assistance from faculty advisor||2 Semester Thesis Research and Defense - Conducted with assistance from faculty advisor.|
University Honors Students must maintain a 3.25 overall GPA to remain in program. After two consecutive semesters of being below 3.25 a student will be dismissed from the program.
* Students who have fulfilled certain general education requirements already, may move the previous courses into free or advised electives in order to fit in honors designated courses
This honors option is available for students who are not in university honors, but have achieved a 3.5+ major GPA in their Junior year.
2 Semester Thesis Research and Defense - Conducted with assistance from faculty advisor.
Honors Cords at Graduation
Honors cords are braided cords worn at graduation to signify a certain honor. They are generally available for students in honors societies or the honors program. Coordinators of the honors societies and the honors programs distribute the cords.