Change in New York State Certification Regulations
Effective May 1, 2014
We would like to provide you with updated information regarding teacher certification requirements in New York state for those pursuing New York state certification. The requirements for New York State Teacher Certification have changed as of May 1, 2014. Therefore, if you have not completed all of the current requirements, applied for certification and are certified in the TEACH system by April 30, 2014, you will need to meet the new requirements.
For more information on the new requirements, please visit http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_annProgramUpdate.asp.
Please note that the new option for computer-based testing has significantly increased the number of certification test dates available to teacher candidates. In addition, Niagara University is a site for computer-based testing.
Below is a list of the previous requirements for certification. These have to be completed by April 30, 2014, in order to be eligible for teacher certification under the current regulations.
Test Requirements for New York State Teacher Certification
Registration information and preparation guides for the teacher certification tests can be found on this link: www.nystce.nesinc.com.
Certification Test Requirements for candidates completing programs on or after May 1, 2014.
|B-6(B-2 and 1-6)||TESOL (K-12)||SWD 1-6 (Childhood 1-6 and SWD 1-6)||1-9 (Childhood 1-6 and Content 5-9)||5-12 (Content 5-9 and 7-12)
Childhood Multi-Subj CST
|TESOL CST||Childhood Multi-Subj CST||Childhood Multi-Subj CST||CST Content|
|Early Childhood Multi-Subject CST||Students w/Disabilities CST||CST Content|
|7-12 (Content 7-12)||Sp.Ed. 7-12 (Content 7-12 and SWD 7-12)||Graduate Cohort Elementary (B-2 and 1-6)||Graduate Cohort Secondary (Content 5-9 and 7-12)|
CST Students w/ Disabilities
CST Adolescence Multi-Subject
|CST Childhood, Multi-Subject, ect.||CST Content|
Initial certification is valid for five years. The following requirements must be completed to be eligible for initial certification:
- Successful completion of selected program
- Take and pass certification tests ~ provide hard copy of results to the Dean's Office
- Child Abuse Seminar ~ offered on campus during Professional Seminar
- Safe Schools Against Violence in Education Seminar ~ offered on campus during Professional Seminar
- Dignity for All Students Act Seminar ~ offered on campus during Professional Seminar
- Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Survey (on-line) ~ completed during Professional Seminar
- Fingerprinting / Police Check (Canadian Students)
Assistance in processing your teacher certification application can be done with Beverly Eiler, Certification Specialist, located in the Academic Complex, Room 221.
Students must complete a master's degree in education within five years. The master's degree must be complimentary of the undergraduate degree program (i.e. special education, literacy).
- Have three years teaching experiences in area of certification. One year must be with a mentor teacher.
- Complete 175 hours of professional development within every five-year period.
The New York State Education website is http://www.nysed.gov