English as a Second Language (ESL) Support
The Office of Academic Support provides free tutoring support to students who want to improve their English skills and become more confident in their ability to communicate in English. Our English as a Second Language (ESL) tutor can assist students in the following areas:
Speaking and listening:
- Finding the right words to express your thoughts
- Improving pronunciation, grammar, and word choice
- Improving English vocabulary
- Understanding rapidly-spoken English, American sayings, and colloquial language
Reading and writing:
- Improving reading, understanding, and responding to college texts
- Improving English grammar (e.g., writing complete sentences)
- Understanding how to compose different types of writing (e.g., thesis and argument)
- Understanding citation rules
Background knowledge in American culture and history:
- Basic American geography, government, history, and politics
- Cultural clichés and allusions
- Commonly-known Western literature
To schedule an appointment with the ESL tutor, please contact Daphne Wyse (716.286.8072, email@example.com) in the Office of Academic Support, which is located on the first floor of Seton Hall.
The ESL tutor is available by appointment at the following times during the spring 2014 semester:
- Mondays (starting Jan. 27, 2014): 5 - 8 p.m.
- Thursdays (starting Jan. 23, 2014): 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.