Accessing Gmail on your mobile device / IMAP client
First, you must set a mobile password in myNU to use when configuring your mail settings. This is different than you PurplePass password, and is only used for this purpose. You can find this when you first log in to myNU, at the bottom of the "My Profile" box. You'll see a link titled "Manage Mobile Gmail Password."
iOS (iPhone, iPad, Touch) Instructions
1) Go to Settings and then select Mail, Contacts, Calendar
2) Select Add Account
3) Choose Exchange
4) Enter your email, mobile password as shown. Enter whatever description you would like the account to have and hit next when completed. Note that you are using your actual NU email address here, not your PurplePass username.
5) Add the server address, m.google.com and enter your email adress in the username field. Hit next.
6) Select if you want to sync mail, contacts, calendars with your device. Hit save to finish setup.
Note: Many android manufacturers provide custom interfaces on their devices so what you see on your device may not completely match what is shown here.
1) Touch the Settings > Add account > Google to add your Google Apps account.
2) Select Existing and enter your email address as your username and your mobile password as set on MyNU.
3) Touch OK to agree to the Terms of Service. The device will then sign in to your NU Account. After this process completes another dialog will appear asking to opt in to Google+, select Not Now.
4) Uncheck the box below communication and touch the right arrow. Another screen will come up to set up payment info, select Not Now.
5) Choose what items you would like to sync. This list may different depending on what apps are installed on the device. Tap the right arrow to complete setup.
Generic Instructions (any device / client)
Accessing your NU Gmail through your mobile device or email client is easy! Gmail supports IMAP, allowing you to configure virtually all devices to work with their service.
First, you must set a MOBILE PASSWORD in myNU to use when configuring your mail settings. This is different than you PurplePass password, and is only used for this purpose. You can find this when you first log in to myNU, at the bottom of the "My Profile" box. You'll see a link titled "Manage Mobile Gmail Password."
Once this is set, log into your Gmail account. Go to "Settings" in the upper-right corner, and select the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Here, you can enable IMAP. Without this enabled, your IMAP functionality will not work.
At this point, you know your mobile password and have enabled IMAP for your account. Now it's just a matter of configuring your device. For your username, you'll use your Gmail email address (e.g. email@example.com). Your password will, of course, be the mobile password you just set. Below, you will find settings for your typical email client configuration.
|Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL:||imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:||smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
|Account Name:||Your full email address (including @mail.niagara.edu)|
|Email Address:||Your full Gmail email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Password:||Your mobile gmail password as set in myNU
Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.
Also, if you're having trouble sending mail but you've confirmed that encryption is active for SMTP in your mail client, try to configure your SMTP server on a different port: 465 or 587.