Alumni, parents and friends who make leadership commitments to Niagara receive special recognition for their generosity by being named members of the John Lynch Society, the university’s leadership gift club. Established in honor of Father John J. Lynch, the Vincentian priest who founded Niagara University, the society represents distinguished donors who share the university’s vision and commitment to the education of young men and women.
The society's inspiration
Father John J. Lynch was an Irish Vincentian priest who came to the United States in 1840 to do missionary work. In 1856 he was called upon to help select an appropriate site for a seminary to train priests in Western New York. Father Lynch’s efforts resulted in the founding of Our Lady of Angels, later to become Niagara University.
As the first fundraiser for the university, Father Lynch was able to secure the necessary monies to purchase the property at Monteagle Ridge. Later, when the mortgage came due, he found the additional dollars to assure the continuation of the school and the Vincentian tradition he held so dear. Niagara seeks to recognize the contributions of those who follow in his footsteps by naming Niagara's most prestigious benefactors society after Father John Lynch.
How to qualify for the John Lynch Society
Gifts to the John Lynch Society must be received by May 31. All gifts made within the fiscal year are counted, including gifts to the Niagara Fund, endowment, capital, and Purple & White, as well as matching gifts from employers. Lynch Society membership is based on giving at the following levels.
- President's Club Cum Laude: $50,000 and above
- President’s Circle: $25,000 - $49,999.99
- Trustees' Circle: $10,000 - $24,999.99
- Deans' Circle: $5,000 - $9,999.99
- Founders' Circle: $1,856 - $4,999.99
- Young Alumni Society (6 - 10 years out): $500 and above
- Young Alumni Society (1 - 5 years out): $250 and above
Benefits of Lynch Society membership
- Exclusive communication about growth and status of the university
- Invitations to preferred campus events
- Personal thank you from the president of the university
- Prominent listing in the President's Report