Accelerated BS Program Information
We are excited to offer an accelerated program for persons interested in a career as a professional registered nurse, who have already received a bachelor’s degree in another major from an accredited university/college. This program will be one year in duration, running full-time across the summer, fall and spring semesters. Included will be both theoretical courses and clinical courses. Class sizes will be kept small to foster student success. Our accelerated program is approved by the New York State Education Department, which is needed for you to take the NYS RN licensing examination upon graduation.
The admission process for the May 2015 program is now available. Please submit your application, ALL college transcripts, high school transcript, two signed letters of recommendation, and a one-page written essay stating why you are choosing nursing as a second career. The deadline for submitting all required documentation is Oct. 1, 2014. Decisions for the May 2015 accelerated program candidates will be made by mid-December 2014.
Special Benefits for the Accelerated Nursing Student
- Niagara has discounted tuition by 30 percent for nurses in the accelerated B.S. program.
Admission criteria include
- 3.25 Minimum Overall Grade Point Average (GPA) for BS/BA
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a C+ grade or higher prior to starting the accelerated program:
- Anatomy and Physiology w/ lab (2 semesters)
- Developmental Psychology
How to apply:
- Complete the university application for admission or request application from admission department at 716.286.8700.
- Include an essay on why you are choosing nursing as a profession and two letters of recommendation.
- Have your transcripts sent to Office of Admission, Bailo Hall, Niagara University, N.Y. 14109. Include high school and any/all colleges/universities attended.
- Accelerated program applicants - please call for more information to the department of nursing at 716.286.7358, interviews will be scheduled by the nursing department upon review of completed applicant files.
Curriculum for the Accelerated Program
The accelerated program "curriculum card" which outlines the entire program can be found online here under Nursing.
Courses marked with an "*" are half semester courses.
Summer Semester 1
- NUR 376 Foundations of Professional Nursing
- NUR 356 Pharmacology
Summer Semester 2
- NUR 350 Nursing Concept & Practicum I/Lab – Introduction to clinical science and skills
- NUR 354 Nursing Concepts II - Health Assessment and Promotion/Lab
Summer Semester 3
- NUR 372 Nursing Concepts III: Individual w/ Identified Needs
- NUR 399 Nursing Practicum III: Clinical Care Individual
- NUR 450 Research Process
- NUR 460 * Nursing Concepts IV: Health of Maturing Adults / Chronic Disease
- NUR 461 * Nursing Practicum IV: Clinical Care Adult / Chronic Disease
- NUR 352 * Nursing Concepts V: The Developing Family
- NUR 353 * Nursing Practicum V: Nursing & The Developing Family
- NUR 466 Nursing Care of Families Throughout the Lifespan
- NUR 355 Building Healthy Communities
- NUR 463 Nursing Practicum VI: Community
- NUR 464* Administration and Health Management in Health Care
- NUR 470* Leadership In Nursing & Health
- NUR 485 Internship / Capstone
- NUR 468 Information Technology For Nursing & Health Care
- NCLEX Review