The Office of Academic Support provides free tutoring support to students who want to improve their English skills and become more confident in their ability to communicate in English. Our English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors can assist students in the following areas:
Speaking and listening:
- Finding the right words to express your thoughts.
- Improving pronunciation, grammar and word choice.
- Improving English vocabulary.
- Understanding rapidly spoken English, American sayings and colloquial language.
Reading and writing:
- Improving reading, understanding and responding to college texts.
- Improving English grammar (e.g., writing complete sentences).
- Understanding how to compose different types of writing (e.g., thesis and argument).
- Understanding citation rules.
Background knowledge in American culture and history:
- Basic American geography, government, history, and politics.
- Cultural cliches and allusions.
- Commonly known Western literature.
In fall 2016, writing tutor Morgan Dahlberg is available to help ESL students in the Office of Academic Support (Seton Hall, first floor) on Thursdays from 4-8 p.m.
To make an appointment with Morgan, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 716.286.8072.