Missions and Goals
The overall goal of the program is to provide teachers with the knowledge of instructional principles and practices for teaching students with disabilities and to offer the opportunity to pursue a master of science in education degree.
- To prepare teachers for the policies and practices of teaching students with disabilities.
- To provide teachers with a professional core of courses emphasizing special education services and enhancing performance of students with disabilities.
- To familiarize teachers with various cultural, ethnic, racial and social backgrounds so that they may create a classroom environment which provides an atmosphere in which students can learn according to their abilities.
- To provide teachers with classroom methods, effective instructional strategies, and curriculum/ assessment modifications necessary for instructing students with disabilities within the general education framework of inclusive practices.
- To prepare teachers with identification instruments and strategies through testing and observation of students with physical, emotional, social and learning disabilities.
- To assist teachers in creating a classroom environment for the inclusion of all children, regardless of ability, in which they can enhance performance in all areas of the curricular standards.