Class Year:
Junior

Major:
Psychology/Spanish

Hobbies:
Playing guitar, listening to music, reading, and travelling

Favorite Gadget:
iPhone

Favorite TV Show:
Glee, Dance Moms, Desperate Housewives, Pretty Little Liars and South of Nowhere

Favorite Music / Favorite Band:
Paramore, Tegan and Sara, Go Radio, Mayday Parade

Visions Becoming Real

January 16, 2012 by Crystal Lorenzo

Share this:

As I sit here on my bed with my roomie lying across from me and my two friends sitting on the floor, eyes glued to The Bachelor, I shall occupy my time by writing this entry, since this show is a gigantic waste of my time.

So we’re back from winter break! It was just like moving in all over again last night.

I did absolutely nothing over break, I’m telling you, I slept until 2 p.m. approximately 90 percent of my break, and I woke up no earlier than 10 a.m. during the other 10 percent.

However, I did do something exciting before I went on break! I actually went to Chicago to attend the To Write Love On Her Arms MOVE conference (it was a conference I had to attend in order to start the To Write Love On Her Arms UChapter on campus)! It was incredible. It was a two day long, 9-5, extremely intense conference filled with 90-minute sessions on different topics ranging from addiction, depression and self-injury to anxiety, eating disorders and suicide.

During the sessions, we discussed different aspects of each issue, such as why people are afraid to talk about them, why people fall into those habits or disorders and how to be able to better support the people in our lives going through these things. Both days were extremely intense and it honestly took me a couple weeks to digest all the information I learned. Now I feel so confident and ready to really be able to make this club amazing and do awesome things that are really going to benefit people. Here’s a link to one of the main presenters from the conference on CNN talking about MOVE conferences and To Write Love On Her Arms.

On top of all of that, I even found an advisor for the UChapter (which is usually a difficult part of starting a club)! So that means that the club is really going to happen, and I’m hoping to have an official interest meeting by next week. Now it’s just time to try to plan my speech for the meeting, since speaking in front of groups never was quite my thing...seeing as I can’t breathe, my whole body starts shaking and I stutter when I try! Sooooo charming, I know.

The conference also made me extremely excited to get started with my psychology classes, which I FINALLY start TOMORROW! I can’t wait. It definitely made me realize that counseling is something I’m serious and passionate about and can really see myself doing for the rest of my life. Even though I’m a freshman, I generally try to stay pretty realistic without minimizing my dreams and goals. I may be 18 but I’m pretty sure counseling is a perfect fit for me. I can’t wait to be able to really make a direct impact in the lives of people struggling and, hopefully, be able to show people hope when they've lost all sight of it. I want to save lives and keep people hanging out and let them know that they’re not alone. I'm dreaming big, but it is much more than possible.

I ended last semester - my first semester of college - with a 4.25 GPA. I got five A+s and one A. I was so excited, so now the pressure is on to do the same for this semester! Let’s see how that goes!

Anyways, being home was dandy! And being back at school is alright. I had my first Spanish 102 and Writing 100 classes today and they both went really well - even though I have ZERO of my textbooks...maybe I should get on that! Well I have an 8:15 class in the morning (thanks to my friends who persuaded me that it would be totally AWESOME to have class together and it was worth the early time...I’m rethinking that right about now...). So I guess I should go sleepy-poo in beddy-bye land (If you didn't get The Pacifier reference, I’m sorry).

It’s been real, readers!

P.S. We shaved my adorable little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel over break, and his level of cute-ness is just way too much for me to handle alone, so I shall share my adorable little hunk with all of you!